Thursday, October 16, 2008

Tightwad Gazette vs. Miserly Moms

Out of all the websites and messages boards I have searched, looking for tips on how to stretch my dollar even further, I have come across two titles often. Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn and Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy. So I went to my local library to check them out and judge for myself.

A lot of negative things have been said about the Tightwad Gazette, here are a few I‘ve heard:
“It is just way to over the top.”
“There is a difference between being thrifty and being cheap, and she (the author) is just cheap”
“Some of these tips are just disgusting!”
“I feel sorry for her children”
I also found most of the people bashing the Tightwad Gazette recommended Misery Moms instead.

Now in my opinion Tightwad Gazette beats Miserly Moms hands down! Tightwad Gazette gives all kinds of tips on saving money and repurpose things to be reused that others may think was trash. For example: using old pallet racks to make a compost bin or an empty cereal box as a magazine holder. It seems the only tips in Miserly Moms was how to save on your grocery bill. People also need to keep in mind the Tightwad Gazette was published between 1993 and 1996, where Miserly Moms came out in 2001. So, yes, some of the tips will be out dated.

I’m sure for a lot of people the tips they find in Miserly Moms will be extremely helpful. I’m also sure that those people are new to living on very little money. I’ve been strapped for cash for awhile now and was already aware and practicing the tips found in Misery Moms before I even read the book.

I have been able to feed a family of four a well balanced diet, which includes 3 meals a day and 2 snacks, on only $200 a month, and I have been doing that for over a year. In fact, my family eats healthier now, on $200 a month, than we did when we spent $500 a month.

I would highly recommend both books though. But if you would like to save money on things other than just your groceries, invest in the Tightwad Gazette. I have also included the links to both websites so you can see what each one is about.

No comments: