Tuesday, December 16, 2008

10 ways to save on your electric bill

Wow, I've been a bad blogger. I have so many tips I would like to share. I'll really have to get my butt in gear and post, post, post. Today I'll share 10 tips I use around my home that really seem to help. I just want to add the all my heating is electric, but I'm sure even if you heat by another source you could apply these tips.

~Change your light bulbs to the longer lasting CFL's (I've noticed the saving more when it comes to buying light bulbs. These type of bulbs last a long time)

~Cover your AC in the winter, or remove your window AC

~Dress in layers to keep the heat turned down low (unless its single digits outside, my heat is never above 62 degrees)

~Use crockpots (even with it being on all day, it uses less power than your oven being on for 30 minutes)

~Unplug anything w/ a clock, adapter, or light when not in use (unplugging our microwave, computer, dvd player, ect. saves us at least $50 a month)

~Wash clothes in cold water

~Turn the heat dry option off on your dishwasher. (after the dishwasher is done, just leave it open for about an hour so the dishes can air dry)

~Lower the temperature on your hot water heater (but don't lower it below 120 degrease)

~Use a low flow shower head (they have so many new ones now that you won't notice a change in pressure)

~Insulate the first 6 feet of the hot and cold water pipes connected to the water heater.

No comments: